January 2006
Christmas and New Years in Puerto Vallart with the Mather clan was fantastic.  Each day was busier than the next.
Uncle Jerry & Dean helping us move the boat.  Sister Kara with her husband Brian.
Dave, Peter & Mr. G at the Puerto Vallart Marina lighthouse.
Grandpa Mather teaching Drake to fly a kite.  This photo is the beach in front of Paradise Village Hotel & Marina looking north.
Soon all the festivities were over and it was time to get everyone back to the airport.  Blue Sky was now ready to head south.  First we had to get out of Nuevo Vallara and here to the left  is the harbor entrance/exit to Nuevo Vallarta.  This is our departure from PV to points south.  Who do you think is driving?  Who do you think is telling the person driving exatly what to do?  Extra credit:  Who took the picture?
Sisters:  Kara & Lisa.  To the right is Lisa's youngest daughter Lizzie.  Lizzie made it her job to see if she could close down the clubs.  Blue Sky was sound asleep by 10 so we only heard about the fun.  Peterdog did his very best to keep up with the girls.  We are still try to find out who was chaperon.
We have seen Peterdog in better spirits but that's only when the surfboards are out of their coffin bag..
January 14th.  Departure day.  We left PV at high tide in order to get out of the entrance/exit.  Once clear we made way to the southern point of Bahia de Banderas.  This is called Cabo Corrientas.  This point is known as the Point Conception of Mexico.  It also mark the beginning of truly tropical conditions.  Once around Cabo Corrientas we headed for Punta Ipala (N20 14 W 105 36)  There is a nice anchorage with protectio of a little bay and fishing village.  Up early the next day we continued south to Bahia de Chamela.  (52 miles south)  Here we stayed for a few days.  The beaches were great and Manuelita's palapa took great care of us.  Dave Hunt who joined us in PV was all smiles.  Several days later we headed south and looked in at Bahia Careyes.  The have added a bunch of moring balls and there really was not any additonal room with a hugh power boat taking the only safe anchorage.  Off to Bahia Tenacatita then.  We are very glad to have moved to Tenacatita.  This was our favorite site to date.  Great anchorage.  There were about 20 boats in total.  There was a daily swim to beach with dominos, bochi ball, and a few cold ones before heading back to the boat to bar-b-que.   There was a river that you could enter from the anchorage.  It was possible to travel up river to the beach town of Revelcito.  There were opportunities for grocery shopping and picking up lunch at one of the many palapa restraunts on the beach.  The specialty is a whole fish with crab & shimp wrapped inside the filet.  Once finished with lunch and shopping it was a quick trip back using the 4 knot current.  You needed to be careful when we neared the beach as it was shallow and we had to deal with the swells.  Sometime the river was wide and other times the mangroves nearly swallowed us.
This is the palapa at Chamela.  One of many but it was our prefered choice.  It was very children friendly which was good for Dave and I  (I think Emma belives that she might have 4 children aboard rather than the two original she started with..  The kids also had opportunities with the popsicle freezer.  The cevechie and fresh fish for dinner was also a nice plus.  Dinner for 6 was less than 300 pesos. Drake is body surfing and Dave is keeping a corner of his eye on him.  Emma and I had trouble getting either of them out of the water.  Only Ice Cream and Pacificos did the trick.  I think you might know who was more interested in the ice cream.
Getting alittle narrow
Phoebe & Drake confirmed this was better than the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland.
Four days later we moving south again to Bahia de Navida.  We checked the anchorage north near the town of Melaque but decided to go into the harbor and anchor in the lagoon.  The small town of Barra de Navidad turned out to be our new favorite.  We stayed way too long enjoying easy access to anything a boat could need.  There is a man called the French Baker that delivers french pateries and baggets each morning to the boat.  The hotel at the marina had three swimming pools connected by slides.  The kids could not have been more content. 
Emma and Phoebe at the swim up bar at the Grand Bay Hotel in Barra de Navidad.
Maria's Tienda had anything that we needed to re-supply the boat.  She would also deliver heavy items via a panga.  The fuel dock was great too.  We were able to fuel up and wash down the boat.  From Barra we again pointed south to Manzanillo.  We anchored just off of the Las Hadas Hotel & Marina.  Las Hadas is famous for the movie 10.  We just loved the pool and the free internet connection in the air conditioned lobby.  We stayed a couple of days and our crewman Peterdog needed to get back to LA for some business.  He caught a flight out of Manzanillo to catch up with Blue Sky in the near future.  Dave and the Blue Sky family contined south to a really rolley anchorage called Punta Cabeza Negra.  We left early the next day to make it to Caleta de Campos.  There we hooked up with Jose Pintor.  I'll need to get additional pictures for the next update but Jose took great care of the Blue Sky crew.  We stayed a few days there but we needed to get to Zihuatanejo for the Sailfest week.  We arrived in time to sign up for all the fun and activities.  The next update will have a section just devoted to the week of Sailfest.  There were so many activities and boats here it might be half of the Feb. update.

We have had more than a few emails asking us what an typical day is like.  We might even be incorrectly presenting the image that this is an endless vacation.

The word typical almost does not apply because when we are underway and when we are either at anchor or tied to a dock are completely different.  Just for definition at anchor although not as demanding as at sea the boat is not tied to a mooring ball or even better a dock.  We treat s/v Blue Sky when she's at anchor (less so but not by much) on a mooring ball as though we are at sea.  There is a great deal to discuss for each of those situations so I'm just going to address the anchoring part in a safe, stable, good weather anchorage.
Ideal Typical Day:

0600:  Phoebe and Drake wake up and usually climb out of their bunks and give Emma a few minutes of snuggle.  (I was informed that I only get snuggle on my birthday)
0601:  There is only room for three so I usually make the coffee and try to get anything done that requires a few minutes of quiet.
0700:  Breakfast then clean up.  Phoebe likes to do her art work and Drake will get some sword time in with his Star Wars guys or Leggos.
0800:  HAM radio net check in
0815:  HAM radio weather for the West Coast of North America down to the Southern Boarder of Mexico.
0830:  VHF radio net (Local Harbor Net)  Emergency, Roll Call, Mail Call that stuff from the boats within VHF range.
0900:  BoatSchool for the Children.  I take one and Emma takes the other.  (Unless there is a boat project that takes precedent then one of us begings that and the other schools two.  (We say,  "would you act this way with you teacher back home" too often.)
1130  School is wraped up and Lunch is prepared and either eaten on the boat or packed for the field trip.
1230-1730:  Get everyone into the dingy tender, land on shore without fliping or getting everything soaked.  Haul the boat up the beach above the tide line take anything of value if we will be out of sight of the dingy.  This includes the emergency shut off key and fuel hose.  If we are going into town then we need to walk, find the bus or on special occasions get a cab.  If we are provisioning for cold items then we need to bring along the soft insulated coolers as well as the canvas totes.  Other field trips have included, seeing the sights of the location or beach days.  Beach days include sand castle construction, buggie boarding, surfing, snorkling, shell capture or hiking from one end to the other.
1800:  Back to s/v Blue Sky for clean up and getting ready for dinner preperation.
1900:  Dinner is usually done and clean up is a memory.  Sometimes when we need to charge the batteries, we will start the generator and we will allow a DVD or we will read books.
2000:  Bedtime for the Phoebe & Drake.  Emma and I get a few hours to discuss what needs to be acomplished the next day, next anchorage or next marina.  This is the time we make our lists.  I had thought this might be over when we cut the lines in Redondo Beach but we are still doing them.  1.  What do we need to re-stock for our provisions.  2.  What preventive maintenance needs to be performed and when.  3.  Where is the spare or do we need to start a new list for whoever is the next person that is due from the US to bring it with them.
I did not include the things we call "mowing the lawn"  This is stuff like getting the sand and salt off the boat.  Scrubbing the bottom of the boat. Hauling drinking water or making drinking water for the tanks.  Filling the fuel for jerry jugs both diesel for s/v Blue Sky and Gasoline for the dingy tender.  Cleaning Stainless steel, Lubricating or corrosion preventative for almost everything, checking for chafe on lines or sails, laundry, cleaning down below or cleaning really down below in the engine room or bilge.  (A clean engine(s) room is the only way to detect a potential problem before it really becomes a problem.) plus a million other thing which I'm sure you can imagine.

Well that's about it for a day that pretty much nothing unusual happens.  I really like these kind of days.  I'll try to give you an underway day on the next update.