October, 2005
Oct. 6:  Once again it was, "Shawshank Redemtion" time.  I had to tunnel through the bilge to remove the last 4 remaining diesel hoses.  The hoses were first class but they had a fire resistant sleave that had seen too much time in the bilge.    They had turned into a sticky goo and really smelled.  (They were also way too long, but that's another story)  I will have to go into the bilge once more to install two ABS pipes that I will run the new diesel hoses through.  There are two "hose runs" up & off the floor, on either side of the bilge.  This is where the original hoses were run.  When someone replaced the originals, they went the easy way and just wire tied them and threw them on the bilge floor.  Now that most of the chaos is out of the bilge.  It is slightly easier to work in there.  The bilge is just big enough to lie down flat.  I can roll over onto my back, but I have to go in with my arms forward, above my head as there is not enough room to reposition yourself once your in.  There is about 28 years worth of previous owners, pets and workmen detritus. Then there is the added luxury of fiberglass slivers and the odor of diesel.  I spilled the diesel.  Good thing we still had some of Drake's old diapers on board.  Those things wipe up anything.  Well I think you understand that it is not the most pleasant place.  On the same day I was not only able to get below the water line but about 60+ feet above it.  I climbed the main mast and lubricated the top roller for the roller furling main.  (I know I'll feel this tomorrow)

I installed the new fiberglass hose connections for the engine exhaust.  The stainless steel all thread still has not arrived so the windlass project is on hold.  My sailmaker is off to Florida for vacation so that has been postponed and the rigger who will swage new terminals and insulators on my one stainless-steel backstay has not returned my call.  I hope there is better progress next week.
The good news is that the electricians are moving ahead rapidly.  Systems are coming on line and the list of things wired is longer than what remains.
Motoring in under the Vincent Thomas Bridge in Los Angeles Harbor.
We should have an update on the sale of the house in Redondo Beach within the next few days.  For any of you following that saga, please cross your fingers.  Our moms alway say, "Everything always works out." Emma says, "It's all part of the plan."  I think they are all correct.
Oct. 17th:  The House is SOLD!  Everything now is going very fast.  We are full steam on all remaining projects and attempting to keep our intended route.
The Crew
s/v Blue Sky
Friends of s/v Blue Sky
This is our new shunt and the old shunt.  If you don't know shunts, the new one
on the left is what a shunt "should" look like.  The old shunt was found in
in the bilge next to the old Perkins engine.  The old shunt on the right has even been cleaned.  Basically what the shunt does, is tell the Xantrex inverter/charger exatly where the batteries are in terms of charge.  The Xantrex can then tell us all kinds of great things like:  How many hours of power we have left at this rate of consumption.  Current rate of power consumption.  Total consumption from the installation.  It provides a huge amount of information and did not deserve to be thrown into the bilge.  (There are mounting holes for a reason FM)  
The primary wiring is done!  The secondary systems are falling like files.  We should be up and running within the next two weeks.  We are busy installing the new equipment (water tank gages, windlass remote switches and a light switch in the aft berth.  This switch will light up all of the exterior lights on the boat.  This way if Emma hears a bump in the night when we are at anchor, we can blind anyone, then switch the lights off and we will have the advantage of night vision while whoever made the bump will be "blind".  Hopefully we will never use it but it's a simple "non-lethal" tool.
Oct. 21st:  To the left is some of the "crap" we removed from Blue Sky.  We found wire that was trade named "Brand Rex".  Crap is not a strong enough word.  How Blue Sky has survived without burning to the waterline is incomprehensible.  Below is a couple of pictures of the butt splices used to connect the galley lights.  Question,  how many butt splices can you put on 4 inches of house wire.  The best part is that they are all stashed behind the foam/vinyl head liner.  Is open cell foam and vinyl flame resistant?  I don't think so.
The good news is that Duane & Dave (Boat Electricians) are installing and connecting all the new equipment.  Carlos (epoxy) is finishing the new scuppers and repairing deck holes.  The new windlass does not require it's wiring to be feed through the deck so that's being filled and the old scuppers used three 1" deck fills on both port and starboard.  These were attached to 1" hose that went into the boat then lead out the boat by way of 1" bronze scuppers.  First I thought the idea was to keep the water out of the boat.  Second, how much water can 3 one inch hoses move?  Very scary stuff...
Ramon (painter) is going behind Carlos and matching all of the paint.  I love 2 component polyurethane.  (Can you say isocyanate?)  The rigger still has not shown so I'm just going to do the last standing rigging with the radio isolators myself.  We are still waiting on the sailmaker to bid the new main.  I was looking at all the sails closely yesterday and Emma and I will have them all removed, cleaned and re-sewn.  (I still think we can make Christmas in Puerto Vallarta.)  Thor is supposed to come today and begin the re-work of the refrigeration.  He is going to put a wishbone mount to the front of the Perkins and tied into both forward engine mounts.  He can then attach the engine driven refrigeration compressor and re-plumb the copper tubing.  I wonder how long that might take?  Great news is that the stainless all thread (10 mm) finally arrived and Dave Hunt and I installed the new windlass yesterday.    I just contacted the stainless man to schedual the beef up of the aft rail (Dingy motor) & to make a plate for the new BIG aft steaming light.  I also have to get the lift raft re-packed and have the membranes in the watermaker replace.  I still think I can make Puerto Vallarta for Christmas.  I forgot to mention that Emma is packing up the entire house.  Organizining everything that needs to go back on the boat, getting the children to and from school, doing homework, making breakfast lunch and dinner.  So for a re-cap,  Blue Sky has just under 10 people working directly on her.  This is not including the suppliers, fab-shops, shippers and friends that are all doing their best to get us going. 

It's going to get alittle more crazy over next few days.  The next update should be early November after the move to Tucson.  I should have complete interior photos of Blue Sky so you will be able to see some of the work.

Cross your fingers, wish us luck and hope that we don't find anymore FM surprises!