top of page

Departure Day!!!

December 14th, 2005: Departure day has finally arrived. Emma and I had let two departure dates come and go. Now it was really time to cut the lines and head south. Juan and Tea were both on the boat finishing last minute additions. Emma was still finding a few more items to pack and Phoebe and Drake were all but oblivious to what was about to take place. At 1300 we cut the lines and let the main sail fly. We were making our way out of our homeport, Redondo Beach (King Harbor) amid horns from from our friends vessels, who were escorting us out. The voyage was about to begin, we are heading out the channel! Phoebe, below is having second thoughts as she now realizes that we are really leaving. After many tears she is worn out and her and Drake crash out to the rhythm of the engine. Dave Hunt's sailing catamaran, Jane'O, gave chase with overflowing decks. Neighbors, close friends, and Josh & Sean from The Redondo Beach Daily Breeze newspaper were all aboard. Dave came with us as far as the R-10 buoy at the Palos Verdes point. Aboard Blue Sky was myself, Emma, Phoebe, Drake and Peterdog. Monica Siverts with Claire, Hanson and Malia send us off with a Conch Shell, meaning safe travels!

December 15: After all the excitement of the departure, Phoebe and Drake fell fast asleep. We motor sailed overnight to arrive in Ensenada. Ensenada has a "one stop" check in and out which was easy and we purchased a fishing license for Mexico. The new system is only available in a few cities so we took full advantage of immigration, fishing, banking and checking blue sky into Mexico and out of Ensenada. Taking about an hour to accomplish all the paperwork. In the past this could have taken multiple days to complete.

December 16: Last minute tasks completed, Peter, Emma and I prepared Blue Sky for a week of open ocean. Departing Ensenada at 1900 for Turtle Bay, the passage South out of Ensenada is marked by rocks coming out from the point and an Island to the North. We were able to put the night vision scope to good use and utilized every instrument to make certain that we were keeping our intended course. All eyes on deck, we were all awake for the passage out, keeping a good watch. Once clear, we all started our watch schedule. Emma 1900 to 2300, Jim 2300 to 0300 and Peterdog is 0300 to 0700. Emma is back on at 0700 to 1100, me at 1100 to 1500. Then Peterdog 1500 to 1900. Peter especially likes his sunrises and sunsets. Emma likes to be available when the children wake and I fill in where ever I'm needed.

December 18th: Threaded our way inside Isla Benitos and seaward to Cedros Island. Entered Turtle Bay at 13:30. In Turtle Bay we added 200 liters of diesel for our push to Cabo San Lucas. By 1500 we were back outside the bay heading south. The wind really picked up over night, with confused following, quartering and occasionally beam seas. The Raymarine chain driven autopilot exceeded my expectations. It held its course with out oversteering and allowed us not to become exhausted. We reefed the main and brought in the staysyl and mizzen. This caused us to head more South than East as I wanted as much sea room as possible with these conditions.

December 21st: Miss Phoebe catches her first fish. The beautiful dorado was hauled in just north of Cabo Falso in the late afternoon. The fish was caught using a silver feather and our homeschooling lesson was to look up the Dorado in our fishing guide. The Stouffers lasagna went back into the freezer and we all had fresh dodo a few hours later. Cabo came into view around 2000, where we dropped anchor in the bay. Emma and Peterdog went in to check on the fuel dock info and to replenish a couple of supplies for our next jump to the mainland. Our traveling companion, the gnome is pictured next to Cabo San Lucas famous rock formation.


bottom of page